Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Boredom is obviously a bad thing. I'm so bored, I just took a detour downstairs to look at what our sandwich machine had to offer as somebody had told me about the "exciting new range". I'm not even hungry and had no intention of buying anything. So after 10 minutes of checking out what wares the machine offered and reading the immensely dull notice board I came upstairs to report on my findings. Yes I do admit that I may have said 'wow' at the sight of the bright yellow bombay potato Indian pocket with mango chutney , and yes I may ch-ch-check it out later in the week. But I'll also admit to being a bit of a freak and craving anything of interest.
My job is really dull at the moment but part of me admits that I'm always like this. Back in 1997 when I started here and had a really rather complex and important project on the go, I still would wander off for an hour at a time and stare at nothing in particular, or listen to the latest cricket score.
I do work quite fast though, I find I can churn out code at a quick rate, which often leaves me bored for long stretches. I guess that if I thought that anything I did was worthwhile in any way to the cause of humanity I'd put a bit more effort into it. But it's not.
When first flight happens next month though I'm sure I'll feel a bit of guilty pride at seeing this aircraft fly with some software on it that I wrote. Yeah, I'll probably also be slightly nervous that when the pilots engage the fuel system fully there may be a gigantic fireball caused by some of that Glenn produced software.

'So Mr. Allan, the problem was found in a particularly poorly coded IF statement. Witnesses state that you were reporting back on, and I quote "some odd looking sandwiches in the machine downstairs", when you should have been doing some work. What would you like to say in your defence?'

*Glenn releases Alka-Seltzer clenched between teeth into saliva ducts, starts foaming at the mouth and having a bit of a fit*

Bah, I'm just keeping it rock n' roll. I shall forever resist the evil forces which may cause me to "do a Taylor" and change from Mr. Don'tgiveashit to Mr. Weekendworker. I actually get rather frightened at people who become excited when the option is given to work overtime and at weekends. Okay, you may want some more money BUT STOP BEING A FREAK!

Maybe I'm too comfortable and need to jazz it up a bit, by say, hitting the boss in the face with a golf iron. Rock!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home