Wednesday, June 29, 2005

I Used To Be Carried In The Arms Of Cheerleaders

1999 was a piss-poor year for records. I remember having to compile my top ten records of the year list and finding it difficult coming up with over 5 albums that I liked. For an album to get in the top ten in 1999, I had to have tolerated it and to have listened more than once.
I adored 13 by Blur (their best album in my opinion), but that was about it. I went to V99 that year and recall thinking the same thoughts sat in a field watching the bungee jumping. I can't think of any band I saw and enjoyed at that festival that had any new music out that year.
Was 'Head Music' by Suede out in 1999? If so, that wasn't their best.
Anyway, the point of this blog is that 2005 is shaping up to be the anti-1999. We're virtually halfway through the year and I already have more records than I can fit into my top ten. With new albums yet to come by perennial favourites such as the Super Furry Animals, as well as the expected shit-hot album by The Crimea finally materialising, the end of year poll is going to be nigh on impossible to get right.
In purchase order (!), here are my recommendations from the year so far…

Roots Manuva - Awfully Deep
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Low - The Great Destroyer
Brendan Benson - Alternative To Love
The National - Alligator
Herman Dune - Not On Top
British Sea Power - Open Season
Okkervil River - Black Sheep Boy
The Tears - Here Come The Tears
Joy Zipper - The Heartlight Set
Ben Folds - Songs For Silverman

You see, that's 11 already. I've not even included The Arcade Fire, as I've not quite decided what year 'Funeral' came out yet. It came out last year in America, but this year in blighty.
Also missing are records from bands that I usually love, but have had trouble getting fully into their latest work. I'm probably misjudging them because of my own pre-release hype, but maybe the new albums from Doves, Idlewild and The White Stripes will make an appearance in the end of year list.
Jesus, I have four or five other records that I'm currently getting to know. Congratulations 2005, you've done okay so far.

3 Comments:

At 6:24 pm, Blogger Glenn said...

About half of those bands are American. You should check them out Alicia.
I can't believe The National aren't bigger than they are. I'm sure they'll be on the next series of the OC.

 
At 9:06 pm, Blogger Glenn said...

it's not 100 Broken Windows though man.
I dunno, maybe it's going to hit me slowly. Or maybe it'll pass me by. We're going to see them on Monday - they're coming to Preston. That's a bit worrying.

 
At 4:37 pm, Blogger Glenn said...

Low, Brendan Benson, The National, Okkervil River, Joy Zipper and Ben Folds are all from your neck of the woods.
I'm excited that on Friday we are going to watch the current kings of American bands, the mighty Interpol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home