Wednesday, December 15, 2004

We went to see Gene last night in Manchester. I've never seen them before as I've either not noticed they've been playing nearby, or (as has happened the last couple of times) it has clashed with something else. Last night was really the last chance saloon though as the band is splitting up after this tour.
Fuck, I don't like how lots of the bands from my younger days are all vanishing. I ranked Gene alongside bands such as Suede, The Boo Radleys and The Manic Street Preachers as bands that were key in shaping what music I like today. The first three have now split up, The Manics will probably follow soon as well. Bah, I'm getting old. I know how older indie fans felt now when The Wedding Present or The Smiths disbanded.
Anyway, it was a great gig. I've been to a few gigs where I've kinda hoped the band would finish playing soon. I wanted Gene to play all night.
It was quite an odd atmosphere, the band seemed pretty emotional about it all, the crowd did also (there was a tall guy stood in front of us crying his eyes out), and there were shouts of "please don't go" and "we'll miss you" all night. Each one left Martin Rossiter touched by the feeling, he could hardly speak at the end.
I wanted to give everyone a "big indie hug", and get them all to ring me when they got home safe.

2 Comments:

At 5:18 pm, Blogger Liam said...

I've heard all about your "big indie hugs"

 
At 10:28 pm, Blogger Glenn said...

DO YOU WANT ONE? DO YOU WANT ONE, SUNBEAM?
DO YOU?
DO YOU?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home