Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Jacks And Fives

I seem to have some desire to prove myself wrong all the time.
I wrote the blog last night about the lack of sleep on night shifts and appeared to have irritated the part of my subconscious that wants to make me look an idiot and show that I don't know anything.
Usually I have about three of four hours sleep during the morning; this isn't enough, yet I am used to not getting enough sleep and seem to cruise through it in a blur.
Today though I managed a grand total of about eight hours sleep. That's spectacularly unusual, and you'd think I'd be fresh as a daisy tonight. Ah, but that’s the beauty of it, my brain has decided to fuck with itself by making me feel tired and lethargic tonight. The fucker. Contrarily, I missed a whole nights sleep on Monday night and it was easiest night I've ever done.
Where is the logic? How I am supposed to make the correct decision on how long to sleep for if there is no definite pattern forming?
Well, I'm glad to see that night shift hasn't made me mentally ill or anything.

The home computer is kaput. It's been turning itself off for a few days and now won't even bother starting up at all. I'm starting to suspect that the problem may lie with the motherboard. Hmm, I'm guessing it won't be cheap to fix.
Anyway, I have no computer at home currently, so if anyone wants to e-mail me (hoho!) then they'll have to use my work e-mail address.
Maybe the laptop has sacrificed itself to save me. It's probably noticed that I've been playing a lot of online poker recently and has decided that due to my past lust for gambling that something needed to be done.
I've been doing quite well at the poker. I've been playing it on the lower stakes tables where you are kind of guaranteed to do okay as there are so many people around who don't really have a clue how the game works. I'm getting pretty good at determining when the odds are worth risking and when to ditch my hand. It's also important to make sure that you are hard to read by the other people playing (some opponents are spectacularly obvious in the way they bet or fold cards).
Luck plays a big part in it, and I lost quite a bit on one hand when the odds showed that the pot would almost definitely be mine. On another hand, I knew there was no way I could be beaten with the cards on the table and was delighted when a couple of other players went all-in. Kerching!

When they wean people off heroin, they'll use methadone; to get people to kick the poker habit, do they encourage you to take up dominoes? Then once they think you've kicked the habit, they'll reduce the dose to maybe ludo or hook-a-duck?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home